Synonyms: Leptotrypellina Vinassa de Regny, 1921; The genus Batostomella is often stated to be a synonym of Bythopora.
Species found in the Cincinnatian (Bryozoa.net)
- Batostomella gracilis (Nicholson, 1874)
Batostomella is an extinct genus of stationary colonial epifaunal filter feeders
Identification in Hand Sample:
- Zoarium Morphology: Ramose, small angle between branches; slender branches
- Zoecia: Small, circular or oval; acanthopores small and usually numerous
- Mesozooids: Small, subcircular openings
- Monticules: Surface smooth
- Maculae: N/A
[leaflet-map lat=39 lng=-84.5 zoom=7 width=575 height=250 align="right"]
- Note small angle between branches, small apertures, and smooth surface
Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Part G (1953):
- Slender to thick smooth branches.
Nickles & Bassler (1900)
- Batostomella Ulrich (Geinitzella Waagen and Wentzel): Zoarium ramose, branches slender; zooecia with few diaphragms; apertures of zooecia small, circular or oval; interspaces rounded or canaliculate, spinulose, the acanthopores small and usually very numerous; mesopores small, with subcircular openings.