- 1903 Playstrophia lynx Cumings, Amer. Jour. Sci., ser. 4, vol. 15, p. 24.
- 1908 Platystrophia lynx var. moritura Cumings, 32nd Ann. Rept. Dept. Geol. Nat. Res. Indiana, p. 920, pl. 35, fig. 5, 5a.
- 1919 Platystrophia moritura McEwen, Proceedings of the National Museum, vol. 56, p. 424, pl. 46, figs. 25-28.
Map point data provided by iDigBio.
- C6 Sequence (Elkhorn)
Identification in Hand Sample
- Has three equally developed plications in the sulcus
- More than 10 lateral plications
- Pedicle valve convex almost to outer edge, not conspicuously flattened
- Medium sized brachiopod
Vinlandostrophia moritura from Elkhorn formation of Wayne County, Indiana(MUGM 10542)
Brame (pers. comm., 2013):
- Equal plications on sulcus; more than ten lateral plications.
- Articulate brachiopod. Differs from similar species by having three equally developed plications in the sulcus, more than ten plications on each side of the fold or sulcus, medium size, and by the pedicle valve being convex almost to the outer edge and not conspicuously flattened. Elkhorn.
- This is a transverse ventricose form with a hinge line longer than the width across the middle. The brachial (dorsal) valve is infalted toward the umbo; the lateral slopes are convex with a slight tendency toward concavity next tot he cardinal angles. The slopes of the pedicle valve are slightly concave. The fold ranges in elevation from low with subequal plications to moderately elevated with the two median plciations somewhat stronger than the laterals. The sinus is deep in front. The transverse forms are restricted to the Upper Richmond, but subquadrate forms, which evidently belong to this species and Platystrophia annieana.
- Measurement of a wide specimen. 30 mm along the hinge line, 29 mm wide, 20.5 mm high, 21 mm thick, 14 mm sinal width, 14 mm sinal depth, 5 mm. fold height.
- Occurrences. Richmond group: Whitewater Formation: Richmond and northern Ripley County, Indiana. Liberty beds: Railroad cut just east of Eastwood, one-fourth mile east of Fisherville, Kentucky.
- Plesiotypes. Cat. Nos. 65671, 65674, U.S.N.M.